Monday, August 26, 2013

Measuring The Immeasurable...Confidence

Anyone who knows me understands that I'm not in this business to get super rich or for individual political gain.  I write this blog and run my precious metals broker business primarily as a service, but also as something that will hopefully make me a little money for my time.  I want it to be a part of my life (as strange as that might sound). Moreover, I don't want my blog to be seen only as a platform for pushing my products. My intent is that my blog is an educational resource first, and as a marketing arm second. There needs to be a voice of truth, because the fear tactics used by many dealers and media pundits are just plain wrong. My goal was to educate anyone who would listen about the role precious metals play as money.  I saw the need and an education gap, and I wanted to help fill that gap no matter a specific political persuasion. Anyone following my earlier posts knows I've spent a lot of time on the subject of money, and the reasons why precious metals are the one true monetary standard. However, I think it's time to move on.  Some additional resources for more about the history of gold can be found at Wikipedia, and my current favorite site The Visual Capitalist Timeline.

I think I've established an understanding for my readers about the role gold and silver play as money. Next I want to discuss some of the questions about the investment role of precious metals, and specifically address the recent price volatility.  This recent sell off in metals shook the confidence of the average investor. From the standpoint of a central banker and large institutional investor this price drop was a Godsend, because they could buy more, and that's exactly what they did.  Goldman Sachs just issued a "buy" recommendation on precious metals, a few months after issuing a "sell" recommendation.  I won't go into detail on how the futures market works, because it's too complicated for this post and I believe it is a small bump in the road for a long term investor.  However, in their most basic form, futures contracts and short selling are based purely on speculation, with very little cash required to purchase a contract when compared to the actual value of the metal (as little as 10% down). The unsustainable leverage is not unique to precious metals.  It's everywhere. You and I have very little control over these asset price swings, as extreme as they may be in some cases. There are a million articles analyzing technical charts so I won't do that here.  There is plenty of data available from reputable sources like Seeking Alpha and Motley Fool. I don't feel equipped or certified to offer that kind of advice.  In fact, many of the authors at those sites have primary job functions trading future's contracts, or as financial advisors.

My job isn't to analyze all of the speculative opinions in the gold and silver market.  It's not a good long term strategy to regularly attempt to time the market.  At some point if you've seen tremendous profits technical analysis may be more pertinent, or if you feel like we're approaching historic low prices and want to buy in large amounts, then we can address it.  If you think you can trade with the big institutional investors and time it perfectly, I wish you the best of luck. However, if you are looking for some personal guidance and strategy for accumulating your physical metal holdings, then please buy from me and sell to me, because that is my area of expertise and my prices are competitive with some of the biggest dealers in the U.S.  Investing in metals is not easy, and I don't have all of the answers, but I'll keep you on track. Accumulating is the only cure for volatility, in any investment.

Furthermore, accumulating your metals doesn't just mean I try to get you to spend all of your money on metals.  It does involve regular purchases and timing of the market in some cases.  I base it on your previous purchase history, individual needs, and current market price volatility instead of a general "buy" or "sell" recommendation.  I tend to disagree with some of the extreme bullish cases for gold and silver, but I also disagree with most of the bearish cases too.  So that puts me in the middle, and pretty much enemy #1 on both sides. However, that means I am looking at things from an objective lens, which is good for you.  Will I promise that I can time your purchase exactly before the market is about to skyrocket higher...no. Will I be able to tell you when to sell right before prices fall...not exactly. Anyone who tells you they can do that is lying.  My promise is that if you don't feel comfortable buying on my recommended timelines I won't pressure you.

My approach will empower you to become a better long term investor and a better precious metals buyer. If I can't help you I will refer you to someone who can. I work with 3 very reputable investment companies whose financial advisors sell securities, and they can help you with stocks and fixed income vehicles.  I will also make another pledge.  I won't recommend you buy more than your risk tolerance. If you tell me you don't like volatility or you are using precious metals for your retirement income, I will advise you to start buying a coin or two, or start collecting a few coins that you think are cool.  In that case you are serving the primary purpose of diversifying your dollars in a conservative manner through slow accumulation. Plus, you are actually helping me grow my business more than if you plopped down a big chunk of money all at once.

Much of what we do in life is based on confidence for a call to action.  My customers trust that I'll get them their metals on time and in good condition, and not pressure them to buy from me constantly.  The entire monetary system is based on confidence.  Human nature trusts an historical track record, and money metals have proven successful over thousands of years.  Fiat money has a 100% failure rate through history. I want you to confidently purchase from me and understand precious metals.  Am I going to lose short term sales volume because of my approach...Yes.  Will it pay off for me in the long run...I hope so.  I know it will be better for my customers. Call or e-mail me anytime, (920) 819-6921, argentumwealthusa@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, Adam! You are my number one precious metals broker. Thank you for educating the world on the value of silver and gold in today's economy. I look forward to your posts each month and will share with my family and friends!

    ReplyDelete