Monday, July 22, 2013

Accumulating, Bartering, and Buying

I attended the Bridge Point Church vendor fair this past weekend, and a young man reminded me that value takes on many different meanings.  I'm sure you remember the old saying, "one man's trash is another man's treasure."  In this case, he viewed my treasure as his own treasure, and I viewed his treasure as my own treasure.  I suppose it would've been financially better for me if I could have unloaded some of my trash, so maybe if this whole metals business falls apart, I'll start hawking Packer memorabilia and yard ornaments. Sorry, I digress.

So after the young man approached me and asked what I was selling, we discussed qualities, history, and stories of silver and gold. He taught me a few things, and I think he also learned something from me.  At first it was somewhat difficult to explain the idea of accumulating metals over a vendor table, but after we hung out for the day I think he really understood it.  In fact, I think he caught on very quick and understood it better than most people do, so I hope he follows through with his investment goals.  He also approached me for some bartering, which is a fantastic way to accumulate or acquire pretty much anything if you have something of value to offer someone.  In this case, he had raw copper nuggets, obsidian, quartz, and a few other stones that I wanted so I traded him some silver.  He was happy because he wanted silver, and I was happy because I wanted some raw copper and other minerals.

This young man was not much more than 20 years old.  By the end of the day he accumulated 4 ounces of silver, or in dollar terms about $100 worth (he definitely got the better deal in that respect). How much will silver be worth in 20 years?  Who knows. The more important thing to realize, is that he will be about 40 years old at that time, probably have a family, a mortgage payment, and monthly bills.  Except now he has 4 real and tangible assets that hold their value over time. He also has something that is extremely liquid, in that he can sell 1 or all 4 ounces when he needs government currency to pay bills.  Or maybe he will have a good paying job and won't need more government currency.  So he'll just hold on to the silver, which he can use to barter, sell in case of an emergency cash crunch, or pass on to his kids/grand kids some day.  Much like land it won't lose it's value, but it's a heck of a lot easier to sell or barter.  Not to mention, you can easily carry coins around, and there are no property taxes or maintenance costs.

The point is that it's not hard to start investing in money metals.  I hear the argument all of the time that it's too "expensive" or "it's not the right time" to buy.  So you'd rather hold cash that you KNOW will lose it's value over time???  If it's because of current price volatility then don't put more than 5-10% of your liquid assets into your holdings!  It's not rocket science, and most of the time it's simply an excuse to spend money on something else.  That's fine with me, but don't complain when big banks, corporations, and governments destroy your hard earned savings and drive up prices on everything we buy.  For as little as $2 you can buy a nice 1 oz copper round from me.  For roughly $30 you can buy an ounce of silver.  Call me at (920) 819-6921 and we can discuss better pricing for 20 or more ounces.

Speaking of copper, I'm going to write about it next month, but I wanted to announce that I'm adding fine/pure copper bullion to my product line starting immediately.  I will carry rounds, ingots, and bars.  I realized at the vendor fair this weekend that silver is just too expensive for a lot of people.  Copper is one of the coolest non-precious/base metals on the planet. Ask any geologist, chemist, electrician, plumber, or doctor about the usefulness of copper and you'll be amazed. It may tarnish easier than silver or gold, but it cleans easily and shines beautifully, just like a precious metal.

Don't forget to sign up for my blog at the top of the page.  Till next time.  Keep the faith and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment